Tuesday 5 February 2013

QUANTIFIERS

Look at these tables to see the different quantifiers we use in English:

Uncountable nouns
Countable nous
Other
HOW MUCH water do you drink? HOW MANY people were there?

A LITTLE (and that's OK, I don't need more) 
A FEW (and that was enough)

I drink LITTLE water (not enough, I think I should drink more) There were FEW people (not enough, e.g. the party was boring)

I drink ENOUGH water (sufficient) There were ENOUGH people (sufficient, just the right number) I'm tall ENOUGH to play basketball
I don't drink MUCH water (negative sentence) There weren't MANY people (negative sentence)

I drink A LOT OF water There were A LOT OF people He eats A LOT.
I drink TOO MUCH water (more than necessary) There were TOO MANY people (more than necessary) I'm TOO tired I'm going to bed.

To practise a little more, please visit tolearnenglish (lots of links here), grammar.ccc or esl-lounge. For longer sentences go to grammarbank.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's actually a great and helpful piece of information. I'm happy that yοu ѕimplу ѕhared this uѕeful informatiοn wіth us.
Pleasе keeρ us up tο ԁate lіke this.
Thank you for sharіng.

mу homeρage :: DiamondLinks.net

Facebook

Facebook
Hazte amig@ nuestr@ en Facebook!